The Chemical Process Engineer will be the technical resource providing support to portions of the manufacturing process with the goal of ensuring safe, environmentally compliant reliable performance and identifying opportunities for continuous improvement.
Essential Job Functions
- Understands and complies with all written safety, health and environmental procedures
- Attends all required scheduled Health, Safety and Environmental training sessions
- Participates in required Health, Safety and Environmental initiatives and programs such as hazard analysis (HAZOP), process hazard analysis (PHA), contractor management
- Provides process documentation and operating instructions. Assists with SOP’s and batch record improvements; composes and obtains approval for new equipment SOP’s
- Performs risk assessments/ recommendations. Assists with equipment failure risk mitigation, FMEA analysis, process safety assessments, and critical spare part assessments
- Develops root cause analysis for EHS incidents and process or equipment failures.
- Monitors day to day quality and makes changes as necessary
- Investigates deviations and applies root cause analysis tools to determine root cause(s)and establishes resolution/ implementation of CAPA’s to minimize repetitive deviations
- Identifies, recommends and implements process improvements
- Identify and specify the purchase of new equipment for process improvements
- Utilizes quality systems for validation of new equipment
- Develops a fundamental understanding of the processes and equipment. Utilizes technical and engineering tools to troubleshoot and understand the process
- Assists in prioritizing maintenance and operational activities to maintain production schedules
- Identifies scope of capital projects to improve safety, quality, reliability and production
- Identify and support opportunities for manufacturing cost reductions
- Improves process throughput. Utilizes modeling tools to identify bottlenecks and proposes operational or equipment modifications to improve throughout
- Routinely assesses process using measurements and data interpretation. Utilizes statistical tools to analyze process data to ensure process is in control and capable.
- 3-5 years’ experience working in a chemical process engineering role
- Knowledge of process related standards
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Strong Mechanical Aptitude
- Collaborative attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Self-Starter with the ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint)
- cGMP work environment experience
- Six Sigma Green Belt/Black Belt
- Lean Manufacturing
- TPM (Total Productive Maintenance)
- Suspension Polymerization Experience
- Capital Project Management (<$250K)
- Experience working on small, collaborative teams
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering or related discipline
Physical Demands and Environments
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical Demands: Employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; bend; kneel and climb. The employee must regularly lift and move up to 15 pounds, frequently lift/move up 25 to pounds and occasionally lift/move up to 40 pounds.
- Work Environment: This position requires one to work both in an office environment and manufacturing facility. There is a moderate level of heat, cold, dust, dirt and fumes. Employee frequently works near moving mechanical equipment and chemicals. Employee will be exposed to varying temperatures.