Keystone provides free lunch to all of our employees in our Gibbstown, NJ locations. The Kitchen/Chef’s Assistant will be responsible for assisting and helping Chef prepare all meals as well as general clean-up duties for an employee cafeteria five (5) days a week, Monday through Friday. This individual will assist our Chef for our employee cafeteria to satisfy lunch orders for our employees. Our kitchen work environment is friendly, exciting, and innovative. The Kitchen Assistant will train directly under the supervision of our Head Chef, who has 20+ years of industry experience. The Kitchen Assistant will work with other Chefs and Kitchen Assistants to create exciting and diverse meals for our employees. This is a great opportunity for a recent graduate of a culinary school, or someone who wants to stay in the food industry with a rewarding work environment. This candidate will get to know our staff, as they will serve them daily.
The ideal candidate will have some culinary school experience, with at least 1 year in a food service environment. They should be familiar with a variety of food industry concepts and practices, as well as thrive in a fast-paced work environment. In addition to general kitchen prep and clean work, we are seeking a candidate who will bring creativity to the menu and a good attitude to join a close-knit team.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists in the preparation of food on a daily basis
- Adheres to proper food handling procedures
- Prep work may include but not limited to: chopping vegetables, boiling pastas, carving and slicing of meats and cheeses and assisting in having other ingredients ready for cuisine creation
- Perform simple food preparation tasks such as making sandwiches, salads and brewing coffee
- Garnishes, displays and serves food items according to standards
- May take special orders from employees
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, plate presentation, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures
- Clean-up duties such as:
- Operate dishwasher
- Cleans tables and counter tops
- Cleans various kitchen equipment
- Sweeps floors
- Ensure all equipment and stations are properly cleaned, sanitized, and organized at the end of the shift (including cleaning of kitchen equipment)
- Monitor food quality while preparing food utilizing HACCP forms and production charts
- Maintains a safe and sanitary work environment that conforms to all standards and regulations
- Participates in staff meetings, in addition to providing feedback on meals and menu ideas
- Performs other related duties as assigned by Head Chef or Facilities Manager, or delegated by Sous Chef.
- Minimum 6 months – 1-year prep work or food service
- Ability to communicate verbally
- Ability to read and follow recipes
- Knowledge of state food handling laws
- Knowledge of food prep, proper knife handling, temperature control and sanitation
- Dependable and responsible
- High School Diploma
- Be able to independently make kitchen specialties such as specialty dressings/condiments, sides, etc.
Physical Demands and Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical Demands: Employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; bend; kneel and climb. The employee must regularly lift and move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 50 pounds.
- Work Environment: This position requires one to work both in an office environment and full-service kitchen.