Website Keystone Research and Pharmaceutical
Materials Scientist- Coatings
The Material Scientist will be a part of a highly collaborative team and one of its core members. S/he will focus on characterizing polymers and formulated coatings to support fundamental research and the development of new technology and next generation of polymers for new product development -fingernail coatings and plastic substrates.
The successful candidate will generate novel, testable hypotheses to support molecule design or route invention. S/he will be very experienced in the physical testing of coatings and possesses a thorough understanding of structure-property relationships of polymers, and polymer physics.
This scientist will be responsible for setting up all aspects of a new physical testing laboratory.
Essential Job Functions
- Working independently, design, carry out, and perform complex experiments and studies for research and development to support new product development
- Conduct complex analysis through experimentation/polymerization of acrylic monomers
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis and complex data evaluations
- Evaluate new commercially available technology for coatings applications
- Specify, qualify and install appropriate test equipment
- Provides results on properties and relationships of substances
- Identify and validate new targets through chemistry
- Present research results to technical and/or business stakeholders
- Responsible for accuracy of all data
- May function as a technical lead on product development
- Supervise, train and mentor other team members
- Work on ad-hoc projects as requested
- Minimum 7 years’ experience testing polymeric materials or coatings
- Minimum 5 years’ industrial experience
- In-depth knowledge of polymer structure-property relations
- Demonstrated experience with acrylic systems, suspension polymer systems and/ or UV/ EB curable systems.
- Familiar and current with various polymerization techniques
- Ability to perform job duties with minimal or no supervision
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven analytical and research skills. Experienced in developing analytical methods to characterize polymers and evaluate reaction results.
- Demonstrated ability to employ statistical analysis techniques
- Maintain strictest confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills and high degree of initiative
- Proficiency in MS Office – especially Excel
- BS, MS or PhD in chemistry, polymer science, materials science or related field
Physical Demands and Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical Demands: Employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. Ability to wear/use personal protective equipment as required such as lab coat, goggles, gloves, masks, etc.
- Work Environment: This position requires one to work both in an office environment and a lab. Ability to work in an upright and /or stationary position for 6-8 hours per day. Repetitive hand movement of both hands with the ability to make fast, simple, repeated movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists to operate lab equipment. On occasion, may be exposed to light fumes or airborne particles.
To apply for this job email your resume in Word or PDF format to email@example.com