Scientist/ Senior Scientist- UV Coatings
An international cosmetics company is looking for a strong formulation scientist with an advanced degree in materials science, chemistry or engineering, who understands polymers, coatings, and UV chemistry processes. This position is a bench chemist position reporting to division VP. The position may have 1-2 direct reports. The scientist will develop and support testing and scale up of energy curable formulations. This new role will help support sales initiatives and interface with production, quality, regulatory and EHS teams.
Gibbstown or Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Essential Job Functions
Conduct research and development in a laboratory setting.
- Research and recommend new chemistries
- Research and recommend processing technology.
- Develop new testing protocols.
- Provide technical support for existing and new products regarding material selection, characterization and qualification, with ultimate translation to manufacturing.
- Derive requirements related to material properties and processing.
- Perform complex formulation, component and materials evaluations.
- Utilize advanced chemical knowledge, data, modeling and statistical tools to solve technical challenges.
- Support projects by performing laboratory work to improve product performance, troubleshoot and resolve customer issues.
Strong knowledge of polymer chemistry.
- Prior experience with coatings.
- In-depth understanding of fundamental chemistry.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in complex UV curable formulations, component and materials evaluations, and equipment.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in initiating projects.
- Knowledge of industry specific technologies and developing products.
- Ability to understand and apply statistical analysis.
- Ability to utilize multiple technologies.
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
- Highly organized.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be flexible.
- Experience with statistical experimental design software.
- Experience with organic and inorganic pigments and colorants
- Experience in inks, monomers and resins a plus.
- Understanding physical testing methods of coatings including rheology, DSC, DMA, hardness and gloss.
- Understanding of spectroscopic methods including IR and NMR preferred.
- Familiarity with/ experience formulating SLA/LPD formulation and printing
- MS. in Chemistry.
Benefits: Competitive salary, Discretionary Bonus, Medical, 401K